About Us

Before Listerine!
Before Listerine!
After Listerine
After Listerine


Galtee and I started this site so pet-parents could share information about remedies that work for their dogs. 

 When Galtee was a year old, he was diagnosed with skin allergies;  he chewed his paws until they bled and pulled out patches of fur.  He wore shoes most of the time–even at night–to stop him chewing his paws off.    So, after treatments with cortisone, two years of antihistamines, a year of Ayurvedic herbs, and homeopathy –a few applications of Listerine Original Mouthwash worked (mentioned as a remedy that worked for another dog  by his friend Reba’s mom, Leslie).  After a few applications of Listerine, his fur has grown back, and he no longer scratches until he bleeds.
Galtee’s “allergies” caused him a great deal of suffering….  Many pet-parents have horror stories about BAD veterinary care that caused their dogs needless suffering, and was extremely expensive.  Sometimes, veterinarians are quick to recommend the most high-tech and expensive treatments; many veterinarians don’t discuss options or tell pet-parents about simple remedies that might work.  By sharing our remedies we hope to bring relief to some of our dogs.  But remember, what might work for one dog, may not work for another dog.  So, always consult with your veterinarian before using any remedy on your dog.

Galtee started generalized itching in August 2013.  He had been itch free on Ayurvedic herbs for a year, then the itching started again.  His Ayurvedic doctor couldn’t explain why the herbs had stopped working.  I discontinued the $250 a month Ayurvedic treatments and went back to antihistamines.  The Listerine still worked on his legs.
I didn’t take Galtee back to his veterinarian, because he was recommending cortisone.
About a month later, someone told me about Marc Ching/The Petstraunt in Studio City.  I made an appointment for the free consultation, and Marc diagnosed Galtee with systemic yeast.  Marc is a 4th generation herbalist and nutritionist; he believes that animal systemic yeast is caused by the poor quality food we feed our pets…even the most expensive kibble is bad.  He recommends feeding our pets real food.   Marc advised me to start Galtee on an elimination diet of ocean white fish, green vegetables, vitamins and minerals for 3 months.  He also prescribed digestive enzymes, probiotics,  and wild catfish skins to chew.  I bought the prepared frozen food, enzymes, probiotics and catfish skins from The Petstraunt.

An immediate positive result of the new food was a 3lb weight drop, even though Galtee was eating more food–and enjoying it (he never liked kibble)…so I used to add chicken, beef and vegetables to his kibble.  His veterinarian at that time told me he needed kibble to get all the vitamins and minerals he needed.
On his real food diet, Galtee started to itch less, and after 3 months he was itch free and got tired of fish .  Mark advised me to gradually add different food items one at a time…I started with beef, and Galtee started itching again.  Marc said that he is probably allergic to beef.  I stopped the beef.  I didn’t introduce chicken as I knew Galtee had GI problems with chicken, even organic chicken.  Marc suggested buffalo.  I bought the first buffalo meals from The Petstraunt.  After about 3 months, I started to cook fresh meals.  Now, Galtee prefers his freshly cooked  buffalo and steamed green vegetables to the defrosted and heated meals.  Also, I add Pet Kelp (with joint formula), probiotics, Hemp oil and apple cider vinegar to his meals.
Galtee was itch free until the beginning of July 2014 when I had to rush him to the Emergency Animal Hospital; he swallowed something black at our local park in the afternoon and he had a GI bleed later that night.  I thought he might have eaten rat poison.  The veterinarian didn’t think Galtee had eaten rat poison, but said he needed an antibiotic.  He prescribed Flagyl and Galtee recovered very quickly.
But after 4 days on Flagyl, Galtee started the most intense generalized itching.   Again, we made an appointment with Marc Ching/The Petstraunt.   He diagnosed systemic yeast again–caused by the Flagyl.  So Galtee had to start another treatment with digestive enzymes and probiotics.  This time it took about 2 weeks for the intense itching to stop.  I had to give Galtee benadryl daily and at night to get some relief from itching.
Marc said I should have called him–he could have helped with  natural treatment–rather than give Galtee antibiotics.  But I panicked when I saw blood and rushed to the ER.
Because Galtee has a tendency to have a yeast problem, he can’t have anything with sugar. I don’t like people to offer him treats because treats usually have grains and sugar.  So, all the veterinary misdiagnoses of atopic dermatitis and allergic dermatitis were just symptom diagnoses.  Some of our local veterinarians don’t seem to acknowledge systemic yeast in dogs.  Recently, I found a lot of information online about systemic yeast as the cause of itching in dogs.  The Dr. Mercola site www.drmercola/pets.com and www.greatdanelady.com have great articles on dog systemic yeast.







Galtee & Helen


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: